Special to the News-Ledger
McPHERSON—United Way of McPherson County kicked off its 2021campaign virtually on Facebook on Tuesday, announcing a goal of $275,000. The annual fundraiser will support 17 nonprofit programs that help improve lives in McPherson County.
Last year’s campaign raised a record $310,166.68. Ronda Sjogren with Farmers Alliance is chairing this year’s campaign. Noting the effect of the pandemic on the campaign, she said, “It’s amazing how people have such a giving spirit when we’re in a time of need.”
Last year’s goal was $250,000.
“I think the thought process behind raising the goal to $275,000 is we had a significant increase over and above the goal last year. And so we wanted to set it to an attainable goal but yet something that wasn’t unreachable,” Sjogren said.
Sjogren went on to say, “One thing I would like people to know about the United Way campaign is whether you can give in large quantities or small quantities, it’s not the amount that matters; it’s the giving spirit. Every amount counts, and it goes towards the larger goal.”
During the kickoff, United Way announced its company awards from the previous year’s campaign.
- Farmers Alliance Mutual Insurance and its employees received the Legacy Award for its record-setting campaign of more than $126,000 during the 2020 Campaign.
- CHS won the Mega-Match award by generously matching each dollar contributed by employees with an additional $1.50.
- The Rising Impact Award went to employees of BPU, the Board of Public Utilities. They increased their giving by 87 percent.
- Dillons employees got the Inspired Giving Award with a 67 percent giving increase.
- Rise Private Wealth Management received the Small but Mighty award for its support of United Way and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
- Wabtec of McPherson won the award for New Employee Campaign.
The United Way Campaign will continue through Jan. 31.