By Jessie Wagoner
The McPherson Public Schools Board of Education had a glimpse into the future during Monday’s meeting as they learned more about the district’s strategic plan. Over the course of the 2020-21 school year, district administration has worked to develop the strategic plan for the district. After months of work, it was presented to the board for approval.
The visionary goal of the strategic plan is that McPherson Public Schools will be recognized as a top-performing school district in Kansas and across the nation. A number of metrics will be used to determine progress toward the visionary goal. Those include the success rate, effective rate and 4-year graduation rate as determined by the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE). Other metrics include the following:
- Assessment performance levels
- Staff, student and family engagement surveys
- Faculty awards and recognitions
- Participation rate in extracurricular activities and AP/college level courses
- Participation in community and family events
- Pass rate for courses
The mission of the district as defined in the strategic plan is to assure that students will acquire basic academic and decision-making skills necessary to be productive, responsible citizens in a changing society. Students are challenged to achieve individual success, work to their fullest potential and become lifelong learners. Our schools will guide and assist students to identify and accomplish personal, academic and career goals.
To achieve the purpose of the schools the following learning goals are outlined for students:
- Demonstrate competency in reading, writing and listening and speaking
- Demonstrate competency in basic math skills
- Express knowledge and understanding of history and the democratic process
- Exhibit knowledge of the basic concepts of humanities and fine arts
- Use technology and information resources with confidence
- Be prepared with parenting and life skills
- Cooperate with others, showing compassion and tolerance for individual differences
- Demonstrate skills needed for success regarding future education and careers
“Maximum achievement of these goals requires a continued commitment from our community, patrons, parents, board of education, school administrators, staff and the students themselves,” the plan states. “McPherson Unified School District 418 pledges its commitment to the achievement of these goals.”
The plan clearly lays out what the district expects to see happen over the course of the next five years. Common themes throughout the plan include leadership, collaboration, safety, engagement, inclusion and unity. The strategic plan can be viewed in its entirety at www.mcpherson.com under board documents.
In other business the board:
- Approved updates to the handbook for the 2021-22 school year
- Approved supplemental contracts as recommended for the 2021-22 school year
- Approved a request for the Music Department to travel out of state in the spring of 2022.