The Board of Education met at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 for its regularly scheduled meeting. The Board approved the agenda for the meeting as well as the consent items. The consent agenda items included Personnel and revised BOE Policies IDACA, Special Education Services and JDDA, Drug Free Schools.
The Board recognized Brianna Bradley, MHS student. Brianna presented information on blood drives that are hosted at MHS in the fall and spring. Students who run a “Leaders Save Lives” Drive are given a red cord from the American Red Cross to wear at graduation.
GIFTS TO SCHOOL
The Board approved the following donations:
• Donation to MMS (Mrs. Colgrove’s classroom) from DonorsChoose.org in the amount of $1593 for classroom equipment and supplies;
• Donation to MMS (Mrs. Colgrove) from DonorsChoose.org in the amount of $245 for MMS volleyball program and
• Donation to Parent/Tot Program (Amanda Harrison) from LES PTO in the amount of $500. This program targets parents who have children in the Head Start Program.
• McPherson Education Association
Donna Viola and Erica Shook shared information regarding the “Christmas with Santa” for USD 418 teachers held on December 16, 2017.
• Elementary Education
Angie McDonald and Chris Allen updated to the Board on efforts taking place at the elementary schools regarding Redesign.
• Special Education
Melissa Strathman and Inge Esping reported to the Board on the gifted program sponsored by the Special Education Cooperative.
• Superintendent’s Report
Gordon Mohn reported to the Board on ESSDACK Interlock Agreement for Learning Centers, Teacher of the Year Program, Resource Officer Grant and oven bids.
• Board Member Resignation
The Board approved the resignation of Anne Hassler Heidel effective Jan. 2, 2018. The Board will need to appoint an individual to fill that position for the remainder of the term.
• Staffing Request from EES Redesign Team
The Board approved the motion from the EES Redesign Team which allows a full-time music teacher at Eisenhower effective for the Spring, 2018 semester.